To determine my star ratings, I judge films based on this criteria and ask myself the following questions:
- Emotional Impact:
- Did the film move me?
- Did I cry? Did I laugh?
- Did I feel something, and was it intentional?
- Critical Engagement
- Did the film have something unique or interesting to say?
- What themes were introduced? Were they explored effectively?
- Does the film have a (seemingly) authentic queer perspective?
- Was it made by and for queer people? Does it ever pander to The Straights?
- Does queerness extend beyond the characters? (stylisation, soundtrack, temporality etc.)
- Staying Power / Iconicness
- Did the film feel important?
- Was I surprised that I hadn’t seen it before?
- Will I remember it in a week? a month? a year?
- Perhaps the most important question of all: Am I glad this film was made?
As an additional note: working holistically, like Ariel Burdett, I use this merely as a guide to help me decide on a rating. And, of course, all reviews are subjective, so don’t come for me. xx